The Huffington Post UK recently published an article titled, “Twenty-Five Cocktails to Drink Before You Die.” Yeah, I thought the title was a bit morbid, too. I agreed with some of their choices (the Sidecar is one of my favorite classic cocktails), and disagreed with others (the Thermo-Nuclear Daiquiri? Seriously? I can live without anything that’s lime green and looks like it would corrode my insides). So it inspired me to write my own list: 5 Cocktails To Drink Regularly While You’re Alive. Corny? Eh, deal with it.
1) White Russian – How could this have not made the list? If we’ve ever been on vacation together, you know I order this drink with breakfast, lunch, dinner…or in most cases all 3. It has a creamy, coffee taste because of the Kahlua (or other coffee liqueur) and cream, but also packs some punch because of the vodka. Yeah, I said I drink it with breakfast. Judge your mother.
2) Sidecar – As I said before, it’s one of my favorite cocktails because it’s the perfect mix of sweet and sour. Made with cognac, orange liqueur, and lemon juice, it’s a great drink to order at happy hour after work. Most bartenders worth their salt (or sugar) should know how to make one.
3) Caipirinha – This reminds me of a classic mojito but because of the Brazilian rum, cachaca, it has a different taste. And it’s super refreshing. Yum.
4) Vodka or Gin Tonic – Whether you prefer vodka or gin, the ‘tonic’ is one of those drinks that’s guaranteed to put some hair on your chest. Mix either one with tonic water, use a lime for garnish (come on, every drink needs a garnish) and it’s one of the easiest drinks to make and/or order.
5) Aperol Spritz – Never heard of Aperol? Well, it’s an Italian aperitif – a cocktail served before a meal. It’s the perfect cocktail when you’re in the mood for something light. Add one of my favorite sparkling wines – Prosseco – with a little club soda and voila, you’ve got an Aperol Spritz.
What cocktails do you drink regularly? Comment below!