Looking for the perfect Christmas cocktail? Instead of eggnog (although I love it when properly spiked), try something different. Enter Hot Buttered Rum. This cocktail is a great wintertime drink because it's warm, sweet and full of dark rum.
- 1 stick of unsalted soft butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 ounces of dark rum
- 3/4 cups of boiling water
- Whip cream
- Other spices to be added as desired: nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger
- Vanilla ice cream*
1. Combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and desired spices in a bowl. Be sure to mix thoroughly.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of the mixture to a mug. Then add the rum and top with hot water and whip cream, if desired.
*Note: To up the ante, you can also added 2 scoops of ice cream into the butter mixture. The butter mixture can be saved in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or longer if frozen.
While it seems like there are a lot of steps, they are well worth it. Get into this hot buttery goodness. You won't regret it!