National Tequila Day is July 24th and there's no better way to celebrate than by drinking tequila-based cocktails. Give one of these cocktails a try at home or out a bar to celebrate National Tequila Day!
The Paloma, not the Margarita, is Mexico's most beloved cocktail. It's most commonly prepared by mixing tequila with a grapefruit-flavored soda and served on the rocks with a lime wedge.
- Kosher salt
- 1 grapefruit wedge
- ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¼ cup club soda
- Pour some kosher salt on a plate. Rub half of rim of a highball glass with grapefruit wedge; dip rim of glass in salt.
- Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, and sugar in glass; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in tequila, add ice, and top off with club soda.
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge.
2. Bloody Maria
Move over vodka. This is tequila-based version of the beloved Bloody Mary.
- 1 Lemon wedge
- Ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 oz Don Julio Reposado Tequila
- 6 drops of Tabasco Hot Pepper Sauce
- 8 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch Celery salt
- 1 tsp Ground horseradish
- 2 tsp Lime juice
- 8 oz Tomato juice
- Rub the lemon wedge along the rim of a highball glass and discard. Coat the rim with black pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fill with ice.
- Stir, and garnish with another lemon wedge and skewered cherry tomatoes.
3. Tequila Old Fashioned
Instead of bourbon or whiskey, substitute tequila and enjoy!
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- 2 slices blood orange, plus peel for garnish
- 3 oz. reposado tequila, such as Milagro
- 1-2 dashes bitters
- Muddle agave and orange slices in a cocktail shaker; add tequila and ice.
- Stir until well-chilled and strain into an old fashioned glass filled with ice.
- Add bitters and garnish with orange peel.
Switch out the traditional gin for a spin on a tequila martini.
- 1½ Parts Tequila
- 1 Dash Dry Vermouth
- 1 Dash Orange Bitters
- 1 Whole Green Olive
- Fill a mixing glass with ice cubes. Add all ingredients.
- Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a green olive.
The Sangrita is the classic accompaniment to a shot of good tequila.
- 2 oz Lime juice
- 6 oz Orange juice
- 6 oz Grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 15 oz Tomato juice
- 2 oz Tabasco sauce
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, halved (with seeds)
- Add all the ingredients to a pitcher and stir until the salt dissolves.
- Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes and then remove and discard the jalapeño. (The longer the jalapeño infuses, the spicier the Sangrita will be.)
- Store in the refrigerator. Serve as an accompaniment to shots of tequila.
6. Juan Collins
The Juan Collins is a twist on the Classic Tom Collins cocktail. Instead of gin, use tequila and you're good to go.
- 1 1/2 oz. (45ml) Tequila
- 1 oz. (30ml) Freshly Lemon Juice
- 1/2 oz. (15ml) Agave Syrup
- Top with Soda Water
- Garnish: Lemon Slice
- Build in collins glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and enjoy!
Curious about how tequila's made? Learn all about it here.