The Preakness Stakes is the second leg of the American thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown series, the first and third being the Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes, respectively. Preakness happens on the third Saturday in May each year in Baltimore, Maryland and because Baltimore is my hometown, I know what a big deal the festivities are.
The Black-Eyed Susan Cocktail is the official cocktail of the Preakness and is named for the blanket of yellow flowers altered to resemble Maryland's state flower placed around the winner's neck. The cocktail reminds me of a sweeter Screwdriver.
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- Crushed ice
- Garnishes: lime slices, fresh cherries
- Stir together first 5 ingredients. Fill 2 (12-oz.) glasses with crushed ice.
- Pour orange juice mixture over ice.
- Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
This year's Preakness is May 20th and since you can't be there, now you can make your own at home. Cheers!