As someone who is always on the lookout for more ways to cut calories from my diet, I can’t help but get really excited when I stumble upon new drinks using fresh ingredients and avoiding sugary pre-made mixers. Luckily for me, I found a drink called the Basil Grape Crush. I was immediately interested in trying it, considering how good the grapes have been this summer and the endless pile of basil growing in my herb garden.
Basil Grape Crush
Yields: 1 cocktail
- 2 large basil leaves
- 5-6 seedless grapes (I prefer red, but I’m sure green would work too)
- 1-2 packets of Splenda (to taste)*
- 2 shots of soda water
- 1-2 shots of your preferred vodka (depending on how potent you want the drink)
- 1 lemon wedge
*Normally one would add about a ½ ounce of simple syrup. However, I replaced it with a packet or two of Splenda.
- First, muddle the basil, grapes and Splenda (or simple syrup) in a glass. Then add in the vodka (1-2 shot) and squeezed lime wedge. This mixture is then poured into a shaker. Give it a good mix!
- Grab a small cocktail glass and fill it halfway with ice. Then you can pour in your mixture. I prefer to keep the muddled grapes and basil in the drink. However, it’s definitely an option to strain them out before you pour your drink into the cocktail glass, if you prefer your cocktails without pulp.
- Finally, pour the soda water into the glass and stir with a spoon. Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy your sweet, refreshing cocktail…guilt-free!
80 proof Vodka rings in at about 97 calories a shot. That’s going to make up the bulk of the calories of the drink. Before adding vodka, the basil/grape mixture comes in at only 24 calories. While this drink is a great summer drink because of how refreshing it sweet it is, it also a drink that isn’t going to kill your summer diets!
Not only do the colors of the muddled fruit look beautiful for an outdoor party, but also knowing that it’s healthy and full of fresh fruit can always encourage you to feel your best!
– Noori Chishti